Monday, May 9, 2011

Of Deer and Rabbits

Our house is surrounded by woods, and we enjoy frequent visits by deer. While I admire their gracefulness, I do not appreciate their indiscriminate sampling of my landscaping. So far this spring they have nibbled at my hosta and my hydrangea and decimated one spiderwort plant.

We hadn't had this problem for a few years. Our pet rabbit, Kea, kept the deer from nibbling at the plants in the yard. Hard to believe, but movement in the rabbit hutch startled the deer enough to make them bolt from their feasting. I watched it happen more than once: a browsing deer wandered into the yard and started daintily sampling the plants. Kea decided to take in a little sunshine or grab another bite of carrot or head for her litter box and moved around in her hutch. The deer took off as if a dog had just bounded into the yard.

Alas, Kea disappeared from her hutch several months ago. We missed her company before, but now we miss her guardianship of the landscaping too.

No comments:

Post a Comment