Friday, May 13, 2011

Hurrah for Small Towns

Although I live in part of the mega-opolis that is the East coast of the U.S., our town has a Mayberry, USA feel to it. Folks know each other; people stop in the middle of the road to have a conversation; you never know who you're going to bump into at the Food Rite.

Our local librarians do a lot to foster this sense of community. Today I heard one of the reference librarian patiently explain (over and over and over again) an application process to an older gentleman who was very concerned over every detail. The librarian had about two minutes to return to his other tasks when another older gentleman started asking him questions about using handgun ammunition in a rifle. The librarian looked at the reference book the gentleman had pulled off the shelf, then got on his computer and started finding addresses and phone numbers of gun shops and manufacturers. All very patient, all very kind.

Local business owners have the same community ethic around here. Take Daniel, our mechanic. He not only services our vehicles, but he prides himself on saving us money, like the time he fiddled with the on-board computer rather than replacing the whole transmission after it went out on me. Or Mr. Pleasant, the manager of the local hardware store who wrapped up a garden ornament that looked like Yertle the Turtle when my youngest daughter became enamored with it.

Yes, I have to drive a little farther to get to bigger stores with more choices, and my husband has a longer commute. But I wouldn't trade my small town.

No comments:

Post a Comment