Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Laundry Product Review

I like to keep the laundry fairly simple at my house. We have baskets for darks, lights, and hot water (i.e. socks, underwear, towels, sheets) loads. I use a scent-free, dye-free detergent with the occasional scoop of non-chlorine bleach--very occasional.

But in the past year or so I've had problems with some new clothing not being color fast. My oldest daughter was especially unhappy when a bright pink blouse that she'd worn once came out of the dryer with dark blue smudges all over it.

So I grabbed a couple boxes of Shout Color Catcher. The box says that you can mix lights and darks in the same load, but I wasn't going to get that wild and crazy on the first try. I added two sheets to the first load that had a new blouse in it. The blouse was a bright coral, and the sheets came out of the washer as white as they went in. The next load had a teal and black shirt and a multi-colored skirt with lots of dark purple, so I threw in three Shout sheets. Voila! The sheets came out purple and blue, the laundry came out in all their correct colors.

I'll be keeping these on hand for the first couple of washes of new clothing. It would be an unnecessary added expense to use them with every load, but very worth not ruining any clothes.

By the way, Shout doesn't know that I'm reviewing their product or that I've even used it.

No comments:

Post a Comment