Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fresh Eyes

We had dinner with my parents and my sister tonight. My sister was telling us about a woman from her church who is a new believer that she is discipling. The story of Joseph came up in their conversation, and the woman was totally unfamiliar with it. So my sister told her the whole story--from Joseph's dreams to his brothers selling him to the false accusation from Potiphar's wife to Joseph's eventual rise to power. The woman was astounded and fascinated. It was all new to her. She came at that familiar Bible story with fresh eyes.

I've been able to approach a lot of classic children's literature with fresh eyes. While my parents did read aloud to us and took us to the library every two weeks, my sister and I somehow missed most children's literature when we were little. So I was introduced to The Secret Garden and Pollyanna and Gone-Away Lake as an adult. I appreciated the nuances and the irony much more than I did as a child. Sometimes I wish I'd known those stories as a child--they would have furnished a lot of material for acting them out. I'm glad my children have known them as children and have had the chance to act them out. Sometimes I've wished that we could have it both ways--the enjoyment and play of the child and the adult appreciation that comes with maturity and fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment